Rap Worlds Forums  

Go Back   Rap Worlds Forums > Artists > MF Doom
Home Gallery Battle Statistics Store Poker Arcade Links Link Us Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
I T G

Rap Worlds Cash: 380.00
I T G is a quality memberI T G is a quality memberI T G is a quality memberI T G is a quality memberI T G is a quality memberI T G is a quality member

MF vs DOOM

Aiight imma spawn some discussion cuz DOOM n his lyrics deserve no less.

Ever since he dropped the MF it seems his style has changed, most notably his flow. It has gone from the laid back, cocky, sarcastic narration used on classic tracks such as "Hey!," to a much more aggressive, faster-paced flow with louder lyrics, seemingly contradictory of his past stance on rap. The latter seen throughout Born Like This, as well as on other more recent tracks he is featured on.

At first I was reluctant to embrace the change to say the least. I loved the sarcastic commentary, and lax attitude which criticized MCs and rap's status quo (Rappers screamin all in our ears like were deaf), as well as mixing in funny ponderings of a super villain.

After denouncing the new album, and questioning my previously unwavering faith in who I had been sure was the pinnacle of MC'ing, I knew not where to turn. Eventually I brushed off Born Like This for another spin, and grew to love certain tracks through weeded analysis. For example That's That had me with a couple lines (sing for things as frail as a finger nail, OR he's the breeze and she's the bee's knees for sheez).

All in all though, I feel the persona I grew to love was being abandoned. Throughout these new tracks I heard excessive cash references, re-hashed concepts, and increasingly "gangster" themes. Maybe I expected too much after DOOM's hiatus, or ignored the fact that one was taken. Regardless of my biases I feel there has been significant change from MF DOOM to DOOM. DOOM is miles ahead of any Lil Wayne, Lil Wayne clone (I'm talking to you Drake), or other mainstream numbskull pushing out thoughtless lyrics over mindlessly bass driven beats, but hes no MF. Is he reluctantly appealing to the mainstream audience with these amplified lyrics, and popular, played out gag, concepts in an effort to stack some much needed paper while leaving behind his raw, witty, and extremely atypical style, or has he evolved and I'm just a nostalgic, overly critical douche?

Let me know, and keep on refusing to be tickled by that fickle finger y'all.
I T G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Shapey Fiend
Home Dogg

Rap Worlds Cash: 1050.00
Shapey Fiend is a dope memberShapey Fiend is a dope memberShapey Fiend is a dope memberShapey Fiend is a dope member

Won: 1
Lost: 1

Re: MF vs DOOM

I miss the old MF Doom forum. It's strange that none of the members turned up here.

I think his rhyming just got too dense and nonsensical on Born Like This. The way his vocals were compressed/mixed or whatever it's called sounded horrible.

The new Madvillain stuff leaking seems to suggest that he's going back to a more laid back style again (remember he softened his style between the leaked Madvillain 1 demos and the final album as well).

The guy isn't infallable. DangerDoom didn't really come together perfectly either, or Venemous Villain. None of them were bad per se but they didn't soar to the heights of VV1 and MV1.
Shapey Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Bruh Man
Upstairs 5th flo\'

Rap Worlds Cash: 20757.50
Bruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. BushBruh Man is bigger than George W. Bush

Re: MF vs DOOM

I think first post question asking is he trying to have mainstream appeal by being more cocky in his lyrics.........No the beats are wierd as shit to anyone who has never heard an underground album(most people who listen to um mainstream)...their is nothing about doom appealing to some teenage girl who likes lil wayne and gucci mayne etc.
Bruh Man is offline   Reply With Quote