Rap Worlds Forums  

Go Back   Rap Worlds Forums > Main Category > Hip Hop Forum
Home Gallery Battle Statistics Store Poker Arcade Links Link Us Mark Forums Read

Hip Hop Forum Exclusively talk about rap & hip hop.

View Poll Results: Who is the GOAT?
Boogie Down Productions 0 0%
De La Soul 0 0%
Gang Starr 1 3.23%
Geto Boys 1 3.23%
N.W.A. 2 6.45%
Outkast 11 35.48%
Public Enemy 0 0%
The Roots 3 9.68%
A Tribe Called Quest 6 19.35%
Wu-Tang Clan 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Tags
best duo, greatest group, real hip-hop, your favorite, your opinion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
The Troof
Super Fly

Rap Worlds Cash: 228643.00
The Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. Bush

Won: 2
Lost: 0

Hip-Hop's Greatest Group Ever?

What's RW's opinion on who the greatest group in hip-hop ever is. Whatever you base it on, don't let members solo work or other endevours affect your decision. Just base it off the music, influence etc. the group as a whole did together. There's plenty of groups that could have been here, but I left them off if I didn't think they had a legitimate chance of winning. Don't just vote or post, do both and explain yourself. Also, if you think groups like UGK, EPMD, Eric B. & Rakim, Ultramagnetic MCs, RUN-D.M.C. etc. should have been on the list or are the greatest in your opinion, let it be known..

I think Outkast is the greatest group ever. They have at least 3 classic or near-classic album which is more than can be said for damn near everyone who has ever released a hip-hop album. ATLiens and Aquemini are in my top 10 favorite albums and their debut is great as well. Stankonia and Speakerboxx/The Love Below were both pretty good, but not my cup of tea for the most part. Idlewild was their worst effort, but I think it was a good soujndtrack for the movie and isn't as bad as some make it, especially if you don't compare it to their earlier efforts. Looking forward to their next album. I don't think Outkast is the best by a lot though, their are more than a few groups who are very close runner-ups.

Quote:
[21-09, 01:32] sellindatcrack yo keep pushin me and i'll get verm to murk ur moms too

The Troof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
The Troof
Super Fly

The Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. BushThe Troof is bigger than George W. Bush

Re: Hip-Hop's Greatest Group Ever?

Boogie Down Productions - Great group, but I think KRS' best work was done as a solo act. Put out 4 good albums and 2 arguable classics though.

De La Soul - Very underrated group on RW. Put out some great work, but I think when Prince Paul left they kind of declined. Pos' is one of the most underrated MCs ever. Probably top 5 groups.

Gang Starr - I think this might get some votes because of the entire Guru-coma situation, but they do have some great albums and haven't put out a weak album, along with some great work. Premier often makes MCs better then they woul be otherwise, and Guru was no exception. Pulled the best out of him and his voice fit perfect of Premier's production.

Geto Boys - Hopefully they get some votes but I doubt it. I think Scarface done better stuff without the Geto Boys, but they have some great albums and I think Till Death Do Us Part is nearly on par with 'Face's best material.

N.W.A. - Not my favorite group, and probably the worst of the 10, but I had to put them in for their legendary line-up and influence. Dr. Dre and Ice Cube's material is definately better than anything N.W.A. ever made asa group though.

Outkast - My pick.

Public Enemy - Legendary production, great MC and extremely influential with the music to back them up. Definately top 5.

The Roots - My personal runner-up. 3 classic albums and many other great albums. Their best albums aren't as good as Outkast's best, but their worst is better than theirs. Very consistant and they've had longevity.

A Tribe Called Quest - Top 5 without a doubt. Their first 3 albums are classic, but they fell off after that.

Wu-Tang Clan - As a group they haven't released the most amazing discography, but they do have an album many consider one of the best ever and amazing solo albums. 1993-1997 was their reign, but as a group they don't have the music to compete with Outkast, The Roots, Public Enemy, ATCQ, or De La Soul.

Quote:
[21-09, 01:32] sellindatcrack yo keep pushin me and i'll get verm to murk ur moms too

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Swordsman
Field NIGGA

Rap Worlds Cash: 2845.00
Swordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. BushSwordsman is bigger than George W. Bush

Boogie Down Productions
De La Soul
Gang Starr
Geto Boys
N.W.A.
Public Enemy
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu-Tang Clan

all drop in the category of being dope, but they haven't really evolved with the times and some of their discographies aren't the strongest, even though some of their releases belong among the most looked up to records in rap.

OutKast
The Roots

have pushed the boundaries more than the others, as going more outside of what rap is typically labeled as. André is one of the most personal emcees you gon find out there, Big Boi is dope as fuck too for that matter.

But Roots kind of tickle my own taste a bit more, they've been more consistent than Kast (SHOCK STATEMENT). I like all of the groups mentioned in the first post for so different reasons, like Wu is def one of my favorite crews ever with their releases over the years.

But I'mma give this one to The Roots. Just this info on How I Got Over from Wikipedia makes me drool

"Among the tracks expected to make the cut are "Walk Alone," the vintage R&B-leaning "Make a Move," "The Day" featuring Icelandic vocalist Patty Crash and a cover of Frank Zappa's instrumental classic "Peaches en Regalia."

?uest's drumming and Black Thought's rawness just fit like a nipple on some titties.

Anyone wanna collab?

Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
The Troof
Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
Boogie Down Productions
De La Soul
Gang Starr
Geto Boys
N.W.A.
Public Enemy
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu-Tang Clan

all drop in the category of being dope, but they haven't really evolved with the times and some of their discographies aren't the strongest, even though some of their releases belong among the most looked up to records in rap.

OutKast
The Roots

have pushed the boundaries more than the others, as going more outside of what rap is typically labeled as. André is one of the most personal emcees you gon find out there, Big Boi is dope as fuck too for that matter.

But Roots kind of tickle my own taste a bit more, they've been more consistent than Kast (SHOCK STATEMENT). I like all of the groups mentioned in the first post for so different reasons, like Wu is def one of my favorite crews ever with their releases over the years.

But I'mma give this one to The Roots. Just this info on How I Got Over from Wikipedia makes me drool

"Among the tracks expected to make the cut are "Walk Alone," the vintage R&B-leaning "Make a Move," "The Day" featuring Icelandic vocalist Patty Crash and a cover of Frank Zappa's instrumental classic "Peaches en Regalia."

?uest's drumming and Black Thought's rawness just fit like a nipple on some titties.
Argree with nearly everything you said. I can't wait for the The Roots next album, and I agree they are more consistant. Also, Big Boi is probably the best 'co-MC' next to Prince Po.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Diablow
loljerdod

Rap Worlds Cash: 102803035.00
Diablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. Bush

Won: 3

I'm going for Outkast.. they have a better hit-rate than any of the other groups on the list. Probably one of the best groups in music. It's just a shame that Idlewild was such a misfire. Also, The Roots haved always bored me to tears.. I've never been able to see their appeal. Boring rapping and boring instrumentation.

Ooooooh... It's a Red Pepper Day.

Diablow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
brownyy
Banned

Rap Worlds Cash: 545.00
brownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad gamebrownyy has mad game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayru View Post
I'm going for Outkast.. they have a better hit-rate than any of the other groups on the list. Probably one of the best groups in music. It's just a shame that Idlewild was such a misfire. Also, The Roots haved always bored me to tears.. I've never been able to see their appeal. Boring rapping and boring instrumentation.
derp.

Last edited by Diablow; 03-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
brownyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Kunk D
Crazy Mutharfucka

Rap Worlds Cash: 2850.00
Kunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap WorldsKunk D owns Rap Worlds

Send a message via AIM to Kunk D

I voted outkast because they did have 3 classics that have gotten a lot of play on my ipod.. Speaking of great groups i wished the Fugees had released another album or two together before they broke up because if they had i think they wouldve been in this mix.

So Sorry
Kunk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Tim Cellic
RespectTheMoustache

Rap Worlds Cash: 6600.00
Tim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. BushTim Cellic is bigger than George W. Bush

OutKast and Tribe easy...UGK do deserve a mention from myself.
i'd like to throw De La Soul and Roots into the mix but i just don't listen to them anywhere near as much as the ones i mentioned above

at the moment, Andre 3000 is the only rapper to have never dropped a solo (rap) album and possibly be Top 5 of all time.

Last edited by Tim Cellic; 03-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Tim Cellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Diablow
loljerdod

Rap Worlds Cash: 102803035.00
Diablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. BushDiablow is bigger than George W. Bush

Won: 3

brownyy is banned for having learning difficulties.

Ooooooh... It's a Red Pepper Day.

Last edited by Diablow; 03-11-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Diablow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Ohini_Jonez
Amani

Location: City/State of Ohini, Planet Georgia, Stankonia Star System
Rap Worlds Cash: 25452.50
Ohini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. BushOhini_Jonez is bigger than George W. Bush

Won: 1
Lost: 1

Send a message via AIM to Ohini_Jonez

Kast... Wu is a distant second for me...

*tentative tracklist*

1. Stop Schemin (produced by Anno Domini)
2. I Wish It Was 1992 (produced by Uncle Charlie for Atrax Beats)
3. Basquiat Barz.Warholian Worldplay (produced by Ohini Jonez)
4. Murder (produced by Atrax Beats)
5. Makes Me Weak (produced by Atrax Beats)

yes... Uncle Charlie is a beast...
Ohini_Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote